Rhona Wright is a Learning Support Specialist who works in conjunction with the class teachers to provide academic support in both individual and group sessions. Boys experiencing barriers to learning are referred for an assessment where their specific areas of difficulty can be identified and an individual programme designed to address these. Support sessions take place during the school day, as well as before and after school, and progress is monitored closely to ensure that skills are being transferred in the classroom environment. Parents are encouraged to involve themselves in the programme to further promote achievement.
- Individual and group support lessons for boys with barriers to learning
- Language Enrichment programme for second language learners
- Computer-based reading programme
- Reading and Spelling Age Assessments of all pupils
- Parent support and home programme
Afternoon Support Programme
Boys experiencing difficulties in aspects of learning are given the opportunity to attend afternoon classes in small groups where skills are consolidated and additional learning strategies provided. English and Mathematics classes take place on a weekly basis for boys in Grade 1, 2 and 3.