Assigning homework serves various educational needs. It serves as an intellectual discipline; establishes study habits; eases time constraints on the amount of curricular material that can be covered in class; and supplements and reinforces work done at school. The purpose of homework is thus that boys should get the opportunity to inculcate further, through independent effort and as their own responsibility, that which has already been taught or practiced under staff supervision. In addition, homework fosters a boy’s initiative, independence and responsibility and brings the home and school closer together.
Given our stated intention to present a holistic education package which encourages participation in sport, cultural and music activities, homework is given in manageable amounts with the following objectives in mind;
- To give boys the opportunity to undertake schoolwork independently and under own conditions
- To provide an opportunity for independent acquiring of knowledge and mastering of skills.
- To provide additional practice, increasing the amount of time boys are actively engaged in learning
- To allow teachers an opportunity for monitoring boys’ progress and diagnosing learning problems
- To increase boys' independence, personal responsibility and individual accountability
- To facilitate more rapid movement through the curriculum
- To increase communications between parents and the school.