In January 1957, the Oblates bought a 26-acre site in Bedfordview, which through later additions would eventually grow to nearly 40-acres today. In February, an application for the registration of a new school was sent to the East Rand School Board and on 11th July, the feast day of St Benedict of Nursia, official approval was received, hence the name “St. Benedict’s”. Fr Hugh Dalton, a CBC Kimberley old-boy, was appointed Headmaster. On December 8, 1957, the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, Bishop Boyle (Bishop of Johannesburg) laid the foundation stone of the first building – the building we now call the “Erasme Block”. The initial goal of the Oblates, was to grow the school to 400 boys with 2 classes per standard.