Old Boys > History
X

HISTORY

HISTORY

History of St Benedict's

Today, nearly one thousand four hundred boys study and play on a piece of land in Bedfordview that more than sixty years ago, consisted of smallholdings, the largest of which was used for training and kenneling greyhounds. At that time Bedfordview was semi-agricultural and sparsely populated. It was Fr Philip Erasme, Oblate of Mary Immaculate and Parish Priest of Maryvale who responded to Bishop David O’Leary’s request that a Catholic Boys’ School be established on the near East Rand. He saw Bedfordview as ideal as it would also cater for the boys from St Paul's School, a Parochial Primary School he had established in Maryvale.

History of St Benedict's

  • See the timeline of the history of St Benedict's from our origins in 1957 when the Oblates bought a 26-acre site in Bedfordview.

History of Bishop Grandin House